Ae
Dear Rex,
Holiday treats can be dangerous 112112 AE 1 Capital City Weekly Dear Rex,
Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Story last updated at 11/21/2012 - 3:13 pm

Holiday treats can be dangerous

Dear Rex,

I am so very excited about the upcoming holidays. My humans give me all kinds of goodies, and with the advent of grandchildren and all the stuff they drop I am golden (so to speak). However, last year I got a bone caught in my throat and had to go to the emergency vet to have it removed. My question is: how can I convey to the folks to part with the bones before they drop stuff on the floor?

Boneapart

Bone-a part....seriously?

This is a very good question. You don't say whether you are a dog or a cat but my answer applies pretty much to everyone. I know from personal gastronomical experience how tasty bones can be. But turkey or chicken bones tend to be brittle and brittle bones break and then get caught in your throat. As you know, that is not good. As for kids (of all ages) at the holiday table....fabulous. However, too much of a good thing causes (as I am sure you have experienced) gas, diarrhea and vomiting. And again, I know from personal experience this causes everyone at the table to get mad at you (like it's your fault!). So no bones is a must and the amount of goodies you snack on should be limited.

As you know, we animals are great for keeping the floor clean. However, last year while my friend was helping with clean up duty, someone tripped over her. When she scooted out of the way, someone else fell on her and broke her leg (emergency vet to the rescue - again). And one final thing to remember: do not dart out when the door opens. You could be outside for a long time before anyone notices you are missing. And its cold out!

Happy Thanksgiving to all my faithful readers and their humans.

Rex

To reach Rex with pet questions send them c/o Gastineau Humane Society: 7705 Glacier Highway, Juneau, or call 789-0260.


Loading...