PUBLISHED: 5:00 PM on Wednesday, August 24, 2005
State launches informed consent Web site
DHSS Web site implements legislation to inform women before terminating pregnancy

The State of Alaska's Department of Health and Social Services (DHSS) today officially launched its "informed consent" Web site for information relating to pregnancy and pregnancy alternatives. The Web site is located at: informedconsent/default.htm. The Web site provides medically accurate resource information regarding pregnancy and

pregnancy alternatives. The Web contains information concerning fetal

development, abortion, pregnancy and family planning. There is also an extensive resource directory of pregnancy-related social and health services in Alaska.

Effective Aug. 21, 2005, medical providers must document that the Web site or substantially equivalent information was provided to the patient.

The site provides a form for documenting informed consent and the patient's review of the Web site information. The informed consent form is retained by the medical provider in the patient chart. If the medical provider chooses to use another source of information that is functionally equivalent in meeting the statutory requirements, the provider will be responsible for developing their own consent form.

In addition, under 7 AAC 05.695 an updated reporting form for abortion procedures also goes into effect beginning Aug. 21, 2005. This form, entitled Report of Induced Termination of Pregnancy needs to be completed by the medical provider and submitted to the Bureau of Vital statistics within 30 days after the induced termination of pregnancy. This report form is available at:

For more information, a list of frequently asked questions has been included on the Web site. Medical providers across the state who care for women will also be receiving a letter in the mail detailing these processes.

The services listed on the Web site are also available to citizens incapable of accessing the Internet. Those wishing to access the information can contact their local public health center or visit any public library for assistance.