Mary Island Light Station, opened in 1903, was one of a series of staffed lights established by the U.S. Government to guide ships through the treacherous waters of Southeast Alaska s Inside Passage. In 1937, a modest concrete lighthouse and fog signal building with some Art Deco style elements replaced the original wood tower. No other buildings and structures at the station stand today, however, archaeological evidence at the site is likely to provide information to better understand life at a remote location in Alaska during the first half of the twentieth century. The U.S. Coast Guard automated the light and stopped assigning keepers to the station in the late 1960s, but the light today continues to guide ships and boats through the waters south of Ketchikan.
Information about the National Register of Historic Places program is available from the Office of History and Archaeology, Alaska Department of Natural Resources, 550 West 7th Avenue, Suite 1310, Anchorage Alaska 99501, phone 907-269-8721, e-mail email@example.com.