Story last updated at 7/3/2013 - 2:52 pm
The Pelican King Salmon Derby ended on June 16th and the standings have been finalized. The top five entries are:
1. Cliff Burns, of Edmonds, Wash., 40.0 lbs.
2. Robert Burkhardt, of Edmonds, Wash., 38.5 lbs.
3. Paul Lerma, of Juneau 32.2 lbs.
4. Les Jensen, of Juneau 29.3 lbs.
5. Linda Carson, of Pelican 22.4 lbs.
Burns received a check for $2,500 at the Derby Awards ceremony held June 21 at the Pelican Community Hall. There were 19 other prizes awarded to respective fishermen. There were 67 fishermen participating in the derby and they turned in 44 fish over the six day derby. All fish are gilled and gutted prior to being weighed and are retained by the fishermen.
The derby is sponsored by the Pelican Chamber of Commerce and it is held on the first two weekends in June. More information on the derby and the community can be found on the website, www.pelican.net.