Health
A recent case of paralytic shellfish poisoning is being investigated on Gravina Island. A woman was hospitalized for suspected PSP on May 28, 2013, after consuming cockles and clams harvested on the island. Symptoms within a few minutes of eating included numbness in the lips, followed by tingling in the fingers and toes, and increasing numbness from her feet to her knees. The patient has since been released from the hospital. Lab results from the shellfish returned with incredibly high toxin levels. A mixture of the leftover clams and cockles returned a test result of 3,409g/100g (3,409 parts per million/per 100 grams of weight). A second sample was tested at 3,148g/100g. These are some of the highest saxitoxin levels ever recorded in Alaska shellfish. Anything above 80g/100g is considered toxic.
PSP poisoning case near Ketchikan 060513 HEALTH 1 Capital City Weekly A recent case of paralytic shellfish poisoning is being investigated on Gravina Island. A woman was hospitalized for suspected PSP on May 28, 2013, after consuming cockles and clams harvested on the island. Symptoms within a few minutes of eating included numbness in the lips, followed by tingling in the fingers and toes, and increasing numbness from her feet to her knees. The patient has since been released from the hospital. Lab results from the shellfish returned with incredibly high toxin levels. A mixture of the leftover clams and cockles returned a test result of 3,409g/100g (3,409 parts per million/per 100 grams of weight). A second sample was tested at 3,148g/100g. These are some of the highest saxitoxin levels ever recorded in Alaska shellfish. Anything above 80g/100g is considered toxic.
Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Story last updated at 6/5/2013 - 2:09 pm

PSP poisoning case near Ketchikan

A recent case of paralytic shellfish poisoning is being investigated on Gravina Island. A woman was hospitalized for suspected PSP on May 28, 2013, after consuming cockles and clams harvested on the island. Symptoms within a few minutes of eating included numbness in the lips, followed by tingling in the fingers and toes, and increasing numbness from her feet to her knees. The patient has since been released from the hospital. Lab results from the shellfish returned with incredibly high toxin levels. A mixture of the leftover clams and cockles returned a test result of 3,409g/100g (3,409 parts per million/per 100 grams of weight). A second sample was tested at 3,148g/100g. These are some of the highest saxitoxin levels ever recorded in Alaska shellfish. Anything above 80g/100g is considered toxic.

The Alaska Department of Health reminds the public that PSP is an ever-present danger in locally harvested shellfish.

State health officials would like to remind residents that paralytic shellfish poisoning, or PSP, is an ever present danger in locally harvested shellfish - including clams, mussels, cockles and oysters. PSP can cause a tingling sensation in your lips and fingertips, followed by numbing of your arms and legs, and in some cases can lead to death. Anyone experiencing these symptoms should seek immediate medical care. Remember, PSP cannot be cooked or cleaned out of shellfish, but commercially grown shellfish is tested and considered safe.


Loading...