Archives
PUBLISHED: 5:07 PM on Wednesday, February 21, 2007
Condolences offered to families of victims in fatal Angoon fire
SouthEast Alaska Regional Health Consortium
The SouthEast Alaska Regional Health Consortium would like to offer its heartfelt condolences and support to the family of longtime Angoon community health aide Jessie N. Jim after a house fire on Saturday claimed the lives of her and her grandson.

Jim, 67, was taken by medevac to Seattle's Harborview Medical Center on Saturday with burns and smoke inhalation, according to an Alaska State Troopers report.

She died Monday night. Her grandson, Charles L. Nelson, 23, died Saturday, Feb. 10, of smoke inhalation from the fire, according to the Alaska State Troopers.

Another relative, Michael. J. Lane, 18, and a volunteer fire fighter from the Angoon Fire Department, Ernest K. Joseph, 36, were taken to Juneau's Bartlett Regional Hospital on Saturday, Feb. 10, where they were treated for smoke inhalation and released, according to the Alaska State Troopers report.

Jim retired in 2005 after 35 years of service to her community as a health aide. She was part of the first group of Community Health Aides that helped launch the program in Southeast Alaska back in the late 1960s.

"The SEARHC family is profoundly saddened," SEARHC President/CEO Ken Brewer said.

"Jessie taught us the meaning of the healing hands. Her touch was infused with kindness, wisdom and strength. She will be missed by multitudes and remembered and honored by many."


Loading...