The problem consisted of:
1. Drawing a comprehensive set of building plans for a 4000 sq. ft house to be built in Orlando, Florida.
2. Develop a complete materials and labor list with costs for the project.
3. Provide value engineering principals for the project.
4. Make a construction schedule for the project.
5. Develop and present an oral power point presentation to a panel of judges in Orlando, Florida, at the International Builders Show in early January.
The students worked on the project during some of their classes and spent quite a bit of time working during lunch and after school to complete the project. All the hard work paid off when it was announced at the award ceremony after the competition that they earned 1st place which included a nice trophy, a wall plaque, and $1,000 in cash to go toward next years travel.
The students and teacher, Craig Mapes want to thank the Southeast Alaska Building Industry Association for a generous donation of $1,200 towards travel to the competition and world's largest home show. The Filipino community donated $100 to assist this years team and we want to thank them as well.
The students got to network with local experts to help solve the problem. Special thanks to go out to Marquam George and Charlie Ross from UAS who assisted quite a bit on the materials list and construction schedule. Also thanks to Kelly Flynn at Juneau Truss/Design North who assisted in the truss plan. Thank you to MRV Architects for coaching the team on their oral presentation and assisting in drawings and technical information.
Also thanks to the Juneau School District for assisting with funding to make the event possible.