PUBLISHED: 4:15 PM on Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Some workers are eligible for unemployment tax refunds
Some Alaska workers may be eligible for unemployment tax refunds if they worked for more than one employer during 2007, according to the Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development. "Workers who had more than a total of $150.50 in unemployment taxes deducted during 2007 because they had more than one Alaska employer can apply for a refund for any deduction over that amount," said Labor Commissioner Click Bishop.

Employers and workers contribute to Alaska's Unemployment Compensation Fund and unemployment benefits are paid out of the fund. Alaska law provides for a refund to any worker who contributed more than $150.50 - the maximum yearly contribution for each employee - in 2007. Unemployment taxes are usually designated as ESC, ESD, UI or SUI on a worker's W-2 form. Refund\ requests must be submitted in writing with proof of earnings by Dec. 31, 2008. The refund form is online at

Forms are also available from the Unemployment Insurance Tax Office in Juneau. Call (907) 465-2757 or (888) 448-3527, or write to the Unemployment Insurance Tax Office, Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development, P.O. Box 115509, Juneau, AK 99811-5509. The forms also may be available from tax preparation services.