Outdoors
OUTDOORS Capital City Weekly Rocks, reefs, and small islands out in the middle of what appears to be open waters of Southeast were a constant worry to mariners ever since boats began to navigate through the Inland Passage. One such place is Lincoln Rock in Clarence Strait off the east coast of Etolin Island. The Alaska ferries go by Lincoln Rock's west side and many of us who were here before the 1970s saw the 35-foot white square tower on a house located on a small island. Both Lincoln Rock and Lincoln Island were named in 1886 by the Navy's Lieutenant Commander A. S. Snow during that season's coast survey. He named it, no surprise, for President Abraham Lincoln. Nearby is Abraham Island.

Southeast History: Lincoln Rock Lighthouse from 1902

A 1961 view of the Lincoln Island navigational facility before it was demolished.
Photo Courtesy Of The U.s. Coast Guard
A 1961 view of the Lincoln Island navigational facility before it was demolished.
  1 of 1  
Return to Story

Loading...