Outdoors
OUTDOORS Capital City Weekly Remote canneries peppered Southeast Alaska in the days before transporting salmon in refrigerated vessels allowed processors to move operations closer to towns. The Bay of Pillars on the west coast of Kuiu Island was home to one of these canneries. This was one of the first locations to be fished in the southern part of Chatham Strait because of a stream that supported a run of sockeye salmon. The first cannery in the bay opened in 1890 and another was constructed in 1902.

A Visit to Pillar Bay Salmon Cannery

Photographed in 1972 are the remains of the cannery dock with, at far left, the bunkhouse we stayed in. The middle building was the herring reduction plant.
Pat Roppel | For The Ccw
Photographed in 1972 are the remains of the cannery dock with, at far left, the bunkhouse we stayed in. The middle building was the herring reduction plant.
  1 of 1  
Return to Story

Loading...