web-posted Wednesday, May 13, 2015
In early April, on the day after Easter, fishermen Vernon Hill, Bernard Wolf and George Lindoff returned to Hoonah from Sitka Sound toting a shipload of "Easter eggs." The crew of the Shirley N spent nine days dropping hemlock branches into the shoreline, waiting for herring to spawn and collecting herring eggs on branches.
web-posted Wednesday, May 6, 2015
The Alaska Industrial Development and Export Authority has given a Southeast tourism destination a multimillion-dollar boost.
web-posted Wednesday, March 25, 2015
Festival season is upon us in Southeast Alaska. This weekend, Skagwegians will welcome hundreds to their community for the Buckwheat Ski Classic, marking winter's end with a distinctive celebration of snow. Next weekend, Ketchikan will celebrate a harbinger of spring - the Rufous hummingbird - with the start of its month-long Alaska Hummingbird Festival. And the week after that, beginning April 6, it's the Alaska Folk Festival in Juneau - the official kick-off to warmer weather for many. From there, a different festival will be taking place somewhere in Southeast nearly every weekend through September. The CCW will be putting out its annual Fun & Festival Guide next month, but to help readers keep track of what's happening on a weekly basis, we've introduced a Southeast Spotlight box on page 2, highlighting a major event or festival in a Southeast community for the coming week. This spotlight will supplement our What's Happening listings on page 3.
web-posted Wednesday, March 11, 2015
Joe Jacobson, Former Director of the State of Alaska Division of Economic Development, will join Huna Totem Corporation as vice president of business development on March 15.
- Photos: Grand opening: Walter Soboleff Building, May 15
- Art in unusual places
- Dr. Fermento: A good read
- Meals with Midgi: Blueberry pancakes
- Movie review: 'Pitch Perfect 2' isn't much to sing home about
- Rainy Day Reads: Let books take you places. no, really
- Northwest Coast Native Art: An 'overt manifestation of culture'
- Writers' Weir: Moon trope
- 'Monumental' art unveiled at Soboleff Building
- Douglas-Dornan grant application period closes June 1
- More than a building
- History from multiple angles: The Killer Whale Dagger
- Life, love and alternative kinship
- Seattle musician Molly Lewis and Juneau's Marian Call to perform Wednesday